‘Diego is eternal’: Messi pays tribute to late football legend Maradona
Lionel Messi remembered Diego Maradona by calling him ‘eternal’ as the modern-day genius joined the world in mourning Diego Maradona’s untimely death on Wednesday.
Maradona, 60, considered the greatest footballer of all time alongside Brazil’s Pele, died following a cardiac arrest, two weeks after undergoing a surgery to remove a blood clot in his brain. He passed away two weeks after he was released from a Buenos Aires hospital following brain surgery.
Messi, who played under Maradona managership in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, termed his illustrious predecessor’s death as ‘sad for the beautiful game.’
“A very sad day for all Argentines and football. leaves us but he doesn’t leave, because Diego is eternal,” Messi wrote in an Instagram post.
“I take the cute moments lived with him and wanted to take an opportunity to send condolences to all his family and friends,” he added.
Cristiano Ronaldo also hailed an ‘unparalleled magician’ whom he could call ‘friend’.
“Today I say goodbye to a friend and the world says goodbye to an eternal genius. One of the best ever. An unparalleled magician. He leaves too soon, but leaves a legacy without limits and a void that will never be filled,” the Portugal and Juventus superstar wrote in his twitter handle.
“Rest in peace, ace. You will never be forgotten.Folded hands,” Ronaldo added.
(With PTI inputs)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Czech Football Association has disputed claims that Cristiano Ronaldo broke the all-time goal-scoring record, insisting he needs another 62 to surpass Josef Bican’s tally.
- Sergio Aguero had already been self-isolating after being identified as a close contact of someone infected.
- Dalot, 21, is at the heart of the defense of an AC Milan side which has been propelled to the top of the Italian league by the 39-year-old Ibrahimovic.
- The embarrassing 2-1 loss in the round of 32 added to Madrid’s recent struggles and left Zidane under increased pressure.
- A brace by Judah Garcia and a goal apiece by Varney Kallon and Khaiminthang Lhungdim proved enough for Neroca FC to sink the Indian Arrows.
- Strikes by Malsawmzuala and Lalrammawia were enough to hand Aizawl the three points.