After The Artist, now a silent film contest
With three Golden Globes and 10 Oscar nominations, Michel Hazanavicius’ The Artist has become a must-watch movie. It opens in India on February 17, and the French film’s Indian distributors, Top Entertainment Pvt. Ltd, along with producer-director Anurag Kashyap, on January 20, flagged off The Artist Short Film contest.
Entries for a three-minute black-and-white short film without dialogue were invited from across India. The Jean Dujardin-Bérénice Bejo starrer is set in Hollywood, between 1927-1932, when silent movies were making way for talkies. “We are in talks with some directors, ad and documentary filmmakers and critics to join Anurag and Rajeev Masand, of CNN-IBN, as the judges. The winner will be announced on February 24,” says Rajiv Sangari, MD, Top Entertainment.
Anurag asserts that The Artist was one of the finest films of 2011. “I love it for the cinematic experience it offers and the nostalgia it evokes. As cinema, it represents unadulterated and wholesome filmmaking with simple storytelling taking precedence over technical embellishment. It’s a study in the craft and the nuances of film-making,” he says.
The winner will be flown down to Mumbai and get to watch his movie with Anurag. It will also be screened as a special on CNN-IBN. “Participants should focus on effective storytelling and use black-and-white tones and the silent medium as an innovative and alternative story-telling technique,” advises Rajiv, adding that they are in touch with The Artist team to get them to view the final entries.
He believes the film is a strong contender for the Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor-Male Oscars. In Birmingham, viewers demanded a refund, as the film was in black-and-white and silent. Isn’t he apprehensive about similar reactions in India? “These are individual choices, the world’s greatest critics have applauded it. I have seen it twice and never once missed having ‘dialogue’. It’s an example of sublime story-telling and I’m confident about it working in India because it has a lot of drama and emotions and the content is close to our Indian films,” says Anurag.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.