First Blade Runner 2049 reactions call it ‘the best film of 2017’, ‘Oscar-worthy’
The embargo has been lifted on the reviews for Blade Runner 2049 a full two weeks before its release - always a promising sign. And the reactions are ecstatic. While full reviews will arrive later, those who have seen the film were allowed to tweet about it, and they are unanimous in their praise, noting Denis Villeneuve’s direction, Roger Deakins’ cinematography, and the film’s success at living up to the high benchmark set by the original.
Blade Runner, directed by Ridley Scott, is considered one of the greatest science-fiction films of all time. The sequel arrives 35 years after the original, and brings in Ryan Gosling to star opposite Harrison Ford.
This is Villeneuve’s third film in as many years to have been roundly applauded. He directed Sicario in 2015, and Arrival in 2016. The Quebecois filmmaker is scheduled to tackle Frank Herbert’s seminal sci-fi novel Dune next, and he is also listed as one of the contenders to direct the 25th James Bond film.
Roger Deakins has been nominated 13 times for the Best Cinematography Oscar, and many are calling for the Academy to take this opportunity to honour his work. They’re also calling Blade Runner 2049 a sure shot Oscar contender, and one of the finest films of the year.
Here are some of the reactions
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.