Gal Gadot honours Shaheen Bagh’s Bilkis Dadi as ‘personal Wonder Woman’, deletes post
Actor Gal Gadot has honoured Bilkis, the elderly woman who became a mascot for the anti-CAA protests at New Delhi’s Shaheen Bagh -- as a ‘personal Wonder Woman’, someone who inspired her this year. The actor shared a post highlighting contributions of several women, including public figures such as Bilkis and New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern, and also her friends.
In a now-deleted Instagram Story, Gal had miscredited Bilkis as an ‘82-year-old activist fighting for women’s equality in India’. Bilkis remains a part of a separate post shared by the actor, which she captioned, “Saying farewell to 2020, with all my love to #MyPersonalWonderWomen. Some are those closest to me - my family, my friends - some are inspiring women I’ve loved discovering, and some are exceptional women I hope to meet in the future. Together, we can do wonders! Share your own wonder women with me.” The post, however, doesn’t include any description.
After her involvement in this year’s protests, Bilkis made headlines again recently, when she was named among the 100 Most Influential People of 2020 by Time. In a testimonial written by journalist Rana Ayyub, Bilkis was described as ‘the voice of the marginalized in India, an 82-year-old who would sit at a protest site from 8 am to midnight.’
The report quoted Bilkis as saying, “I will sit here till blood stops flowing in my veins so the children of this country and the world breathe the air of justice and equality.”
Actor Kangana Ranaut has been critical of Bilkis, and claimed in a now-deleted tweet that she was available to sit for protests for a sum. “Ha ha ha, she is the same dadi who featured in Time magazine for being the most powerful Indian... And she is available in 100 rupees. Pakistani journos have hijacked international PR for India in an embarrassing way. We need our own people to speak for us internationally,” Kangana had written, misidentifying a different woman as Bilkis, and earning a legal notice as a result.
Gal most recently appeared as Diana Prince in Wonder Woman 1984. The film was released in Indian theatres on December 24.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.