Hannibal star Mads Mikkelsen in early talks to replace Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts 3
Danish star Mads Mikkelsen, known for films Casino Royale and Doctor Strange, is in early negotiations to play the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts 3 after Johnny Depp’s exit from the fantasy film series. Last week, Depp revealed that he will no longer play Grindelwald in the Warner Bros’ franchise after he lost his libel case relating to abuse allegations by former wife, actor Amber Heard against a UK newspaper.
The studio had also confirmed that Depp’s role will be recast before the film opens in theatres.
The third film spin-off in JK Rowling’s Harry Potter universe, which shut down shooting in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, is currently in production in the UK. A source close to the production told Variety, Depp had shot just one scene as Grindelwald before leaving the film, so Mikkelsen would not need to replicate much footage.
Mikkelsen is known for playing memorable antagonists like Le Chiffre, a banker to terrorist organisations in Casino Royale, which was Daniel Craig’s first outing as the iconic British spy James Bond, supervillain Kaecilius opposite Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange and the cannibalistic serial killer Dr Hannibal Lecter in the NBC series Hannibal.
If the deal is finalised, the actor will join franchise stars Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Jude Law, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol and Ezra Miller. David Yates is directing the film from a screenplay by Rowling and Steve Kloves. Rowling, Kloves, David Heyman, and Lionel Wigram are producing.
Depp first played Grindelwald in 2016’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, taking over from Colin Farrell in the final scene. He reprised the part in 2018’s Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and was set to start shooting for the third part next year.
Fantastic Beasts 3 is currently scheduled to be released on July 15, 2022.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.
- One Night in Miami movie review: Debutante director Regina King extracts terrific performances from her four leading men, in a high-concept drama about power and responsibility.
- Bruce Willis was clicked without a mask at a pharmacy in Los Angeles on Monday. He later said that it was an 'error in judgment'.
- First footage from high-profile upcoming films starring Chris Hemsworth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Adams, and others, has been revealed by Netflix.