Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker gets eight-minute standing ovation as critics rave, watch video
Joaquin Phoenix’s upcoming comic book film, Joker, got an eight-minute standing ovation after its Venice International Film Festival premiere over the weekend. Videos of the crowd’s reaction have been shared online.
According to Variety, two press screenings were conducted for the film, the second of which also drew loud applause from the audience at the end, and when Phoenix’s name came up in the credits.
Videos shared online show the crowd standing inside the auditorium, and delivering sustained applause as the house lights come up. After Venice, Joker will also screen at the Toronto International Film Festival, in an effort by Warner Bros to boost the film’s chances in the awards season.
Phoenix, as well as director Todd Phillips, drew praise for the work. The videos also show the actor-director duo acknowledging the applause as they hug each other inside the auditorium. Critical reviews have been mostly positive, with the film currently standing at an 89% score on review aggregator, Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus on the site reads, “Joker gives its infamous central character a chillingly plausible origin story that serves as a brilliant showcase for its star -- and a dark evolution for comics-inspired cinema.”
Phoenix, a three-time Oscar nominee, is the third actor to play the iconic Batman villain in film, after Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger and Jared Leto. Several critics called for another Oscar nod for the star, who said he wasn’t inspired by previous depictions of the character. “I didn’t refer to any past iteration of the character,” Phoenix said at Venice, post the premiere. “It just felt like something that was our creation in some ways.”
Also starring Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy and others, Joker is slated for release on October 4.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.
- One Night in Miami movie review: Debutante director Regina King extracts terrific performances from her four leading men, in a high-concept drama about power and responsibility.
- Bruce Willis was clicked without a mask at a pharmacy in Los Angeles on Monday. He later said that it was an 'error in judgment'.
- First footage from high-profile upcoming films starring Chris Hemsworth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Adams, and others, has been revealed by Netflix.
- In an exclusive interview with Hindustan Times, Marvel Studios president, Kevin Feige, spoke about India's role in the future of the MCU, and the mind-bending WandaVision, the studio's first streaming series.