The new Shazam trailer has cameos by Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and you didn’t even notice
Shazam is the latest installment in the ever-evolving film franchise, which began in 2013 with Man of Steel. A shot in the new trailer, in which Shazam balances a bus in his arms prompted fans to draw parallels to a similar shot in the Superman movie, as well as Wonder Woman and Aquaman.
Another shot in the trailer shows Shazam in a shop, surrounded by action figures of Justice League members such as Superman, Batman, Cyborg, The Flash and Wonder Woman. The shot shows Shazam picking up a large Batman statue and flinging it into the air. While the statue does not bear any resemblance to Ben Affleck’s version of the Dark Knight, his Batman can be seen in the background - although the face is largely out of frame.
This could be deliberate because Affleck recently announced that he would not be reprising his role as Batman in future DC movies. The actor has played the iconic character in three films - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League. Each film received mixed to poor reviews.
Here are some reactions from fans:
After many ups and downs critically and at the box office, the DCEU recently delivered its biggest commercial hit - Aquaman, which made over $1 billion worldwide. Shazam is the only entry slated for release in 2019, with Wonder Woman 1984 being pushed to 2020. Birds of Prey, a Suicide Squad spin-off led by Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is currently filming, and director Todd Phillips’ gritty take on the Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix, will be released in October (although it is independent of the larger series).
Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara admitted to the Los Angeles Times recently that the series has evolved over the years. “The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago. You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.” he said.
Shazam is directed by David F Sandberg and stars Zachary Levi in the lead role. The film will arrive in theatres in April.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.