New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Aug 20, 2019-Tuesday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019

Case of murder attempt on Akbaruddin Owaisi: Court acquits prime accused, convicts 4

The quantum of punishment will be announced on June 30, 2017.

india Updated: Jun 29, 2017 15:38 IST
Srinivasa Rao Apparasu
Srinivasa Rao Apparasu
Hindustan Times, Hyderabad
Majlis-e-Ittihad ul-Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi
Majlis-e-Ittihad ul-Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi(PTI File Photo)

A Hyderabad court on Thursday acquitted 10 people, including the prime accused, and convicted four others in connection with the murder attempt on Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi over six years ago.

Seventh additional metropolitan sessions judge justice T Srinivas Rao pronounced the judgement at the Nampally Criminal Court complex after prolonged hearings and examining 83 witnesses.

While prime accused Mohammed bin Omer Yafai alias Mohammed Pahelwan was acquitted along with nine others, four other accused — Hasan Bin Omer Yafai, Abdullah Yafai, Awad Yafai and Salem Bin Wahlan — were declared guilty.

The quantum of punishment will be announced on Friday.

Akbaruddin Owaisi, the younger brother of Hyderabad MP and MIM president Asaduddin Owaisi, was assaulted at Barkas in the old city of Hyderabad on April 30, 2011, allegedly by the members of Yafai family over a property dispute.

On a formal complaint by MIM’s Barkas corporator, Mansoor Bin Mohammad Awalgi, the Chandrayangutta Police registered a case for attempt to murder, rioting, rioting with a deadly weapon, causing hurt by dangerous weapons, criminal conspiracy, and also under section 27(1) of the arms act.

The case was later handed to the Hyderabad Central Crime Station and a charge sheet was subsequently filed against the accused.

Yafai and his family members, who were immediately arrested following the complaint, have been in Cherlapalli prison for the past six years. The hearing of the case was completed last week.

The police made elaborate security arrangements in the premises of criminal court fearing clashes between the Owaisi and Yafai groups. Heavy police force was deployed and latest high definition CCTV cameras were installed to check the entry of unconcerned people.

First Published: Jun 29, 2017 15:35 IST

more from india