Why is November 26 celebrated as Constitution Day? 5 points
Constitution Day 2022: The year 2015 marked the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, also known as the "Father of the constitution". As a tribute to the chairman of the drafting committee of the constitution, the Modi government planned year-long celebrations.
The Constitution Day - or 'Samvidhan Divas' - is celebrated on November 26 to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India. On this day, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, which came into effect on 26th January 1950.
Five things to know about Constitution Day:
1. The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on November 19, 2015, notified the decision of the government of India to celebrate the 26th day of November every year as 'Constitution Day' to promote values among citizens.
2. The year 2015 marked the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, also known as the "Father of the constitution". As a tribute to the chairman of the drafting committee of the constitution, the Modi government planned for year-long celebrations, and during one such event in May 2015 in Mumbai, Prime Minister Modi announced November 26 as "Constitution Day", earlier known as 'Law day'.
3. Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, was the President of the Constituent Assembly, which was established in 1946. It took almost three years (two years, eleven months, and seventeen days to be precise) to complete its historic task of drafting the Constitution for Independent India.
4. On August 29, 1947, the Constituent Assembly set up a Drafting Committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar to prepare a draft. While deliberating upon the draft Constitution, the Assembly moved, discussed, and disposed of as many as 2,473 amendments out of a total of 7,635 tabled.
5. During this period, it held eleven sessions covering a total of 165 days. Of these, 114 days were spent on the consideration of the Draft Constitution.