From cars to flats to jewellery for staff: Meet the super generous Savji Dholakia
Dholakia, who runs Hari Krishna Exports in India’s diamond hub Surat, has announced his company will give 1,260 cars, 400 flats and pieces of jewellery to his employees.india Updated: Oct 28, 2016 16:26 IST
Diamond merchant Savji Dholakia is an unusually generous boss who has been lavishing expensive gifts on staff at his diamond polishing company since the past few years.
Dholakia, who runs Hari Krishna Exports in India’s diamond hub Surat, has announced his company will give 1,260 cars, 400 flats and pieces of jewellery to his employees ahead of Diwali, which falls on the weekend.
Here are five things to know about the super cool boss:
1. The diamond merchant, who hails from Dudhala village in Amreli district in Saurashtra region, established and nurtured his business using a loan from his uncle. Dholakia began his company in 1992 with his three brothers.
2. The Class 4 dropout’s Mumbai-headquartered firm is one of India’s leading polishing companies and exports diamonds to some 75 countries. The company’s export touched Rs 1 crore in the first year itself and is worth at least Rs 6,000 crore.
3. Dholakia reportedly keeps track of his staff’s performance through an in-house software that the company has been using for the last seven years. He also checks the company’s suggestion box every day to ensure that employee grievances are addressed.
4. The Gujarati billionaire sent his 21-year-old son Dravya to Kerala earlier this year with three pairs of clothes, toiletries, and Rs 7,000 as emergency cash to earn a living by himself and learn how India’s millions of poor live their life.
5. The 54-year-old has been making headlines by giving expensive gifts to his employees since 2012 when three employees received cars for their performance. He gave 491 cars and 207 flats to his employees under a similar programme in 2014.
First Published: Oct 28, 2016 16:26 IST