‘Ministerial berth with 100 times growth,’ Congress releases audio clip, claims BJP poaching its MLAs
Accusing the BJP of poaching on opposition MLAs to prove its majority in tomorrow’s floor test, the Congress on Friday released a purported audio conversation between mining baron Janardhana Reddy and a Congress MLA to back its claim. (Live Updates)
In the audio, a man suspected to be Reddy is heard allegedly offering Chitradurga Rural Congress legislator Basanagouda Daddal a ministerial berth with “100 times growth.”
Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar, however, said the audio was “utter falsehood.”
“We condemn the activity of the congress’ dirty tricks department,” he said.
Addressing a press conference, Congress spokesperson V S Ugrappa, who released the audio tape, said Daddal was also offered Rs 150 crore, which, however, was missing in the audio clip.
In the conversation, the man is heard telling Daddal that a fortune awaits him where he can become a minister and build wealth 100 times more than what he has now.
“Forget the unpleasant past we had. Now my good time has started. Our senior.. national president will talk to you. Whatever you want like position and other things, you can talk to him one-to-one (directly),” he says.
The man also concedes that Daddal had lost his wealth by relying on him when he (Reddy) had launched the BSR Congress, a breakaway group of BJP in 2011.
Apparently trying to convince Daddal, the man reportedly says “During BSR time when we had bad time, we formed the party in an adverse situation.
There is no denying the fact that you all lost your property by relying on me. I want to tell you that you will grow 100 times (more than what you are now).
Shivanagouda became minister by trusting mywords. Has he not made money and became strong enough to remain MLA till death. Didn’t he grow because of me?”
However, the Chitradurga (rural) MLA is heard turning down the offer saying the Congress had helped him and campaigned for him during the election.
After releasing the audio clip, Ugrappa alleged that the BJP tried to poach Maski MLA Pratap Gowda Patil.
Ugrappa also claimed that he has got the audio clip of conversations of BJP’s national leaders too, “which will be released at an appropriate time.”
He warned the BJP leaders not to resort to ulterior ways of grabbing power. “Else, the nation will not pardon them,”Ugrappa added.
Lashing out at the congress, Javadekar said “after repeated electoral defeats, the congress’ dirty tricks department is working at full speed.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.
- The chargesheet was filed on Friday before a special NIA court against the accused persons-Bishnu Narzary, Nitul Daimary and Runiluish Daimary under several sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Penal Code and Arms Act.
- Rai said that door-to-door collection of funds for the Ram Temple construction has also been stopped.
- The central government has also rushed high-level multi-disciplinary public health teams to Maharashtra and Punjab in view of the increase in the number of daily new Covid-19 cases being reported by these states.
- Nearly half or 366 out of 777 MPs are eligible for Covid-19 vaccines in the category of elderly people. 47% of MPs are above sixty years of age and meet the criteria for elderly people who can get vaccinated in the current phase.
- There are more than 3.2 million ex-servicemen (ESM) in the country, and many of them have been waiting to get vaccinated at service hospitals.