New Congress president’s term could end in 2022
The electoral college for the election of both the Congress president and the Congress Working Committee, in this case, is the All India Congress Committee, said party functionaries. They pointed out that the election to the post of the president will be a by-election because the president will just be seen to be completing the term of the Congress president who took over in 2017 for a five-year term. This was Rahul Gandhi; he resigned in 2019, and Sonia Gandhi has been interim president since. This means there is no need as per the party constitution to convene the AICC plenary, which is made up of Pradesh Congress Committee delegates.
The electorate for Congress president in the by-election are AICC delegates, pointed out two leaders who asked not to be named. “So in June, when the elections are now scheduled, the president will be elected by AICC meeting with the participation of 1500-2000 members.”
“For the Congress Working Committee election, the AICC, in either case, forms the electoral college. So it remains to be seen whether the AICC, which elects the new president for a truncated term that will last till December 22 (counting five years from when Rahul Gandhi took over) decides on electing CWC or authorising the president to constitute the body. “When Rahul Gandhi was elected the president, Ghulam Nabi Azad moved a resolution to nominate the 24-member CWC (besides the president),” said a third leader.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.
- The tragedy reportedly took place when an excavator was digging a drain near the boundary wall of the school.
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.