2 soldiers killed in terrorist attack on army patrol near Srinagar
Two security force personnel were killed in a terrorist attack on a quick reaction team (QRT) on the outskirts of Srinagar on Thursday, police said.
“Terrorists fired indiscriminately at a Quick Reaction Team of the Indian Army in Srinagar’s Aban Shah Chowk, HMT, Khushipora today afternoon. Since it was a crowded area, troops exercised restraint to avoid any civilian casualties and collateral damage. Two soldiers were critically injured and were evacuated to the nearest medical facility. However, they have succumbed to their injuries,” the army said in a statement.
“Jaish has active movement here, by evening we’ll identify the group. Terrorists fled in a car and were armed. Two are probably Pakistani and one local,” Kashmir IG Vijay Kumar told news agency ANI.
Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched a search operation to track down the assailants.
More details are awaited
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rajib Banerjee took to Facebook to dissent against the Trinamool, stating the senior leaders have not paid heed to his concerns.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion at 1 PM. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- NPCI has not specified the time it would take to update the system.
- The official data also shows a big increase in the total number of registered paddy farmers, which now stands at 21.52 lakh.
- PM Modi said India is entering its 75th year of Independence this year, adding that innumerable people from Assam have contributed to the nation's freedom struggle.