One dead, seven injured in fire at chemical godown in Gujarat
It took nearly five hours to douse the blaze at a chemical godown in Narol area in Ahmedabad.Updated: Oct 28, 2017 21:41 IST
At least one person was charred to death and seven fire department personnel were injured in a major fire that broke out at a chemical godown in Narol area in Ahmedabad on Saturday, officials said.
“One person died in the fire that broke out at a chemical godown which was storing solvent and thinner. We are yet to ascertain the identity of the man as he is charred beyond recognition.
“Some fire department personnel also sustained injuries. We are investigating to know the reason behind the fire,” said Danilimda police inspector RK Amin.
It took nearly five-hour operation involving 18 fire fighting vehicles to douse the blaze, said MF Dastoor, chief fire officer of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC).
“Seven of our personnel suffered burn injuries, with two of them still admitted to a hospital, when they were carrying out the operation to douse the fire,” Dastoor said.
“We deployed 18 fire fighters to douse the flames, and it took nearly five hours to control it,” he said.
He added that two fire fighting vehicles will remain stationed in the area and operations will be carried out inside the godown later.
First Published: Oct 28, 2017 21:39 IST