SC order on Cauvery water-sharing difficult to implement: Siddaramaiah
Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah has called separate cabinet and all-party meetings on Wednesday to chalk out the next step after the Supreme Court directed his state to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu till September 27.CauveryWaterDispute Updated: Sep 20, 2016 22:03 IST
Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah has called separate cabinet and all-party meetings on Wednesday to chalk out a strategy after the Supreme Court directed his state to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu till September 27.
“....the Supreme Court has passed an order, since we do not have water, it is very difficult to implement it. It is an unimplementable order,” he told reporters on Tuesday.
Karnataka will have to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu from Wednesday till September 27, the Supreme Court said, raising the quantum fixed by a supervisory committee by 3000 cusecs.
Siddaramaiah said Karnataka had placed certain facts before the Cauvery Supervisory Committee, but it still directed the state on Monday to release 3,000 cusecs per day between September 21 and 30.
Siddaramaiah appealed to public to maintain peace, assuring that the government “is committed” to protect the interest of the state and its people and farmers.
“There is a cabinet meeting tomorrow (Wednesday), we will discuss, we are waiting for the copy of the order of the Supreme Court. The (state) cabinet will take a view, meanwhile we will consult legal experts also”.
“I have also called an all-party meeting tomorrow (Wednesday), in that meeting we will discuss the pros and cons of this order. After taking views and opinion of leaders from all parties we will proceed further,” he added.
In its Tuesday order, the Supreme Court also directed the Centre to constitute within four weeks the Cauvery Water Management Board (CWMB) as directed by the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT).
Soon after the order, the chief minister held meetings with senior state ministers and officials.
“I appeal to the people, especially to people from Cauvery basin to maintain peace. They should not get carried away by emotions...Everyone should cooperate..,” he said, apparently keeping in mind last week’s widespread violence over the Cauvery issue.
On September 12, the apex court modified an earlier order and directed Karnataka to release 12,000 cusecs of water per day until September 20, leading to violence across Bengaluru and south Karnataka that killed two people.
Normalcy has returned to Bengaluru, with schools, colleges and offices functioning without any trouble. Police have banned large gatherings as a preventive measure which will be in force till September 25.
Karnataka home minister G Parameshwara too said the Tuesday’s directive was an injustice to the state.
“The Supreme Court’s latest directive is most disappointing. We don’t know why Karnataka is at the receiving end when it comes to river waters,” Parameshwara said.
First Published: Sep 20, 2016 21:54 IST