Signal, Telegram downloads surge as people look for Whastapp alternatives amid privacy concerns
However, the company said that it does not retain messages after they are deleted from the servers.
The surge in Signal downloads can also be attributed to the richest person on the planet and Tesla CEO, Elon Musk who also joined the conversation on Twitter and asked people to download the app. Since then the app gained overnight popularity.
Signal was created by Signal Foundation which was set up by former WhatsApp co-founder Brien Acton who left the former in 2017.
It is a free to use app and has similar features like WhatsApp. However, it does not allow to back up chats to Google Drive or iCloud. It also does not allow people to automatically add others in groups unless individuals give their assent.
Users can also turn on disappearing messages feature for each chat and set a time limit ranging from five seconds to one week. After the set period, the messages in that chat will automatically be deleted.
Meanwhile, Telegram, another instant messaging platform also said that it is seeing a surge in downloads as its ranking Telegram’s download ranking on Google Play also rose over the past few days.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Dozens of Rohingya are in a makeshift "holding centre" at Jammu's Hira Nagar jail after local authorities conducted biometric and other tests on hundreds of people to verify their identities.
- The 10-member team will commence the journey from the misty mountains of Arunachal Pradesh at Bomdila and will then enter Bhutan.
- In a letter to the Cubbon Park police station, Dinesh Kalahalli said that the complaint had taken a sinister turn wherein the character of the alleged victim was being questioned.
- The police headquarters took action after a picture of the man walking with his son's decomposed body in a plastic bag was widely shared on social media.
- Omar Abdullah chided BJP's Suvendu Adhikari who was quoted a saying the "Bengal will become like Kashmir" if the Trinamool Congress returns to power in the assembly election.