Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sitapur train horror: 10 days on, ‘faceless’ man keeps UP railway police at bay

No policeman can identify 42-year-old Iddu Mian as only an old and faded passport size photograph of his is available. As per the description from the family, his appearance has changed a lot.

india Updated: Nov 02, 2017 23:14 IST
Rohit K Singh
Rohit K Singh
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Sitapur train horror,UP railway police,GRP team
Algun (leg in plaster) with her mother Afreena Khatoon in Sitapur district hospital(Oliver Fredrick/HT Photo)

Iddu Mian, 42, the man who allegedly pushed off his four daughters from a moving train in Sitapur on the night of October 23, has so far managed to outsmart the Uttar Pradesh’s Government Railway Police, which is tracing him for ten days now.

The accused has managed to dodge the police multiple times by changing his location.

What is also helping Iddu Mian is his ‘faceless’ identity.

“Nobody in the police team can identify Iddu Mian properly as only an old and faded passport size photograph of his is available. As per the description from the family members and relatives, his appearance has changed a lot in past few years,” said a member of GRP team tasked to arrest him.

“There is a possibility the team may have missed him in Jammu where his location was tracked till October 29,” he said.

The only way to track Iddu Mian is by putting his mobile phone under constant electronic surveillance. But, the suspect is not using his phone often, either.

“It is very difficult to track a faceless person even if his location gets tracked in a particular area,” the GRP officer said.

“Through electronic surveillance, the team had managed to locate a rented room in Jammu where Iddu Mian had lived for several years. The team reached there on October 30 but locals informed he had left the day before,” the officer said.

Read more: Four sisters thrown off train in UP: I paid a price for giving birth to girls, says mother

Police said Iddu Mian spoke with one of his relatives after reaching Jammu on October 24 but did not share his location.

“We are trying to get some of his recent photographs and contacting every person in his family to get an idea about his appearance,” said Ashish Kumar Verma, station officer of GRP (Lakhmipur Kheri), who is investigating the case.

Iddu Mian, who worked as a labourer in Jammu in the past, had pushed off four of his five minor daughters at various locations in Sitapur from the moving Kamakhya-Katra express train while travelling with his wife, Afreena Khatoon, 36, from Bettiah in Bihar to Jammu. He reportedly threw them while the children’s mother was sleeping.

The three daughters, Rabina, 12, Algun, 9, and Shamina, 4, were found injured lying along the tracks. They are undergoing treatment in hospitals at Sitapur and Lucknow. The fourth daughter, Muniya, 7, succumbed to her injuries while the fifth, Sehjadi, 2, was saved as the mother woke up in time to stop the accused.

First Published: Nov 02, 2017 23:14 IST