Social media’s hilarious reaction to Modi’s currency ban
When people realised that the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes in their wallets are now only worth the paper they are printed on, they took to social media to vent their feelings.india Updated: Nov 12, 2016 21:54 IST
It’s been two days since our 500 and 1000 rupee notes have been lying forlorn in our wallets, since Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared war on black money by announcing demonitisation of the high-value currencies.
As the sight of any ATM starts to resemble a tough to reach obstacle course, and the realisation that our 500 and 1000 rupee notes are only worth the paper they are printed on, sinks in deeper, Twitterati continues to turn to memes and jokes to vent their feelings. Sample some of them here:
1) When you come out of the bank with new Rs 500 and Rs 2000 notes
2) How do you pay kidnappers now?
3) Who told her? Nation wants to know
4) It all adds up now. Literally
5) When the Rs 500 note bid a teary good bye
Achha chalta hoon, duaaon mein yaad rakhna. pic.twitter.com/dyYLCAVy2i— Aisi Taisi Democracy (@AisiTaisiDemo) November 8, 2016
6) That moment when you’re the most sought-after person
7) When you have to find new uses for old currency
8) This public service announcement
9) And this scenario where some notes may rise from the grave
10) This feeling of utter triumph
11) And this plight of ‘notes’ this year
12) That moment when you can feel richer than Mukesh Ambani
13) And a dig at the PM’s foreign travel
14) And, finally, this iconic dialogue.
First Published: Nov 11, 2016 18:42 IST