90 kids taken ill due to food poisoning in Mumbai
Ninety school children and a woman employee of the school were on Thursday admitted to a hospital with food poisoning after consuming sweets distributed by a local Shiv Sena functionary to celebrate birthday of Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray, police said.
Students from Union Public School, located at Khetwadi on Charni road of south Mumbai, started vomiting and complained of abdominal pain after consuming biscuits and chocolates distributed by local Sena leader Ramakant Tawade, police said.
The Harkishandas Hospital authorities said that about 90 children and one woman were brought to the hospital from the school, of which 40 did not have a major problem and were treated as outdoor patients and sent home.
With one more admission in the evening, the total of those admitted due to food poisoning has gone up to 51, the hospital sources said.
"Tawade had sought permission from the school to distribute sweets and the school allowed him this morning. But students started vomitting after they consumed it," DCP Pratap Dighavkar told reporters.
The students were immediately rushed to nearby Harkishandas Hospital in central Mumbai where they were given a stomach wash and put on treatment.
Although the hospital sources said earlier that all the students will be discharged by late this evening, they are still under observation and all of them are stable and doing fine, hospital authorities said.
Sources said that the local Gamdevi police are likely to register an offence against the Sena functionaries of the locality in connection with the food poisoning case.
According to a release issued by the hospital, around 1.30 pm, 90 children of the school were brought to the casualty department.
Out of these, 50 children were admitted after being treated by paediatricians.