A day after British blowouts, Ferrari & Co agree to changes
Ferrari, Force India and Lotus, the three teams at the centre of the Pirelli British GP tyre storm, came out Monday in favour of changes to ensure no repeat of the dramatic blow-outs at Silverstone.Updated: Jul 02, 2013 00:10 IST
Ferrari, Force India and Lotus, the three teams at the centre of the Pirelli British GP tyre storm, came out Monday in favour of changes to ensure no repeat of the dramatic blow-outs at Silverstone.
Ferrari, Lotus and Force India came out fighting after being attacked for being "short-sighted" for blocking Pirelli's planned introduction of new tyre constructions.
The claim was levelled by Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey, who said Pirelli had come up with a way to address the worrying issue of tyre safety this season, only for the three F1 outfits to vote against any change.
He explained: "That (new constructions) was being offered initially for Montreal. But two or three teams vetoed that because they were worried it would suit some other teams more than it would suit them."
Drivers had even threatened to go on strike if the issue was not resolved. But in the aftermath of the British GP all three teams were at pains to distance themse-lves from any accusation that the-ir stance could have conceivably endangered the lives of drivers.
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said, "It's important to move forward and solve the issue as it's something that's very important for all of us."
Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley, whose outfit was most strongly against the revisions last time, said: "It's a completely different position to what we had previously as there was no safety element before. Once a safety issue comes up, we are not going to risk people's well-being for a technical point."
Lotus boss Eric Boullier added: "We need to work with Pirelli and find solutions. Maybe Pirelli need to change the belt from metallic to Kevlar, and we'd support this. Safety is the primary concern."