Attack on Salem: Govt suspends four for lapses
The Maharashtra government today ordered a probe into the jail attack on gangster Abu Salem in Navi Mumbai and suspended four prison employees for the lapse. HT reports.india Updated: Jun 29, 2013 09:30 IST
The Maharashtra government on Friday ordered a probe into the jail attack on gangster Abu Salem in Navi Mumbai and suspended four prison employees for the lapse.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blast case and extradited, was shot at inside high-security Taloja jail on Thursday night.
“This incident shows a serious lapse (on the part of) jail officials and we have taken the matter seriously. I have ordered an inquiry to be conducted by additional director general of police (prison) Meeran Borwankar,” said home minister RR Patil on Friday.
Patil said the jail officials who were responsible for the lapse would be dismissed from service.
Home department officials said Borwankar had been asked to conduct the probe into how the weapon was procured and smuggled into the jail, and also how the security lapse occurred. The probe report will be submitted to Patil in two days.
Borwankar termed the incident a major security breach.
“Three constables and an officer whose negligence led to the incident have been suspended on the basis of a preliminary inquiry report,” she said, adding that an inquiry would be conducted by an inspector general to see if there was negligence on the part of anyone else.
First Published: Jun 29, 2013 00:32 IST