Bangladeshis held in UK restaurant
Six Bangladeshis were held last week following police raid on a restaurant in Wales.india Updated: Feb 24, 2006 19:02 IST
Six men whose immigration status was in doubt but who were working at an Indian restaurant in Britain have been arrested and now face deportation to Bangladesh.
The six were arrested last week following the police raid on the Royal India restaurant in Newcastle Emlyn in Wales.
The incident once again highlights the staff shortage faced by Indian restaurants across Britain, many of whom employ people whose immigration status is in doubt for short periods of one or two weeks.
Eyewitnesses at the restaurant said police officers marched the chefs and waiters out of the restaurant. All the men reportedly hailed from Bangladesh and have been given two weeks to leave Britain by immigration officers.
In the restaurant, patrons were left amazed as the remaining staff carried on serving.
One man at the restaurant said: "It was utter chaos. There was hardly anyone left but people were still coming in and ringing up and they were still taking orders. But when it came, the food was fine."
Shamsul Alom, whose family owns the Royal India, said the men were casual staff and no longer worked for them. He said they came looking for work the week before and added there was a constant turnover of staff.
"Some come for one week, two weeks and then go away. They will be going back to Bangladesh next month, I think. They gave them two weeks to leave. We get people from London to work here. It is very hard for us to get local people to work for us.
"We've got a few extra people in to help this week but we are quite a busy restaurant."
A police spokeswoman told the local media: "Dyfed-Powys police and officers of the immigration service executed search warrants under the immigration act at an establishment in Newcastle Emlyn.
"Six persons were arrested in connection with immigration offences. The immigration services are proceeding with their investigations."