Cong pact with Mandela’s ANC
In the first formal pact of this kind it has entered into, the Congress on Tuesday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the African National Congress (ANC) to set up an institutional mechanism to facilitate regular exchanges between their youth, women and trade union organisations towards the larger objective of strengthening party-to-party relations.
Signed by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and ANC president Jacob G. Zuma on Tuesday, the MoU comes into immediate effect and will remain in force unless either party expresses a wish to discontinue it. The process of exchange of delegation between the world’s two oldest parties will begin with the ANC’s Youth League and Women League visiting India in the second half of the year.
Talks for establishing party-to-party relations were initiated when Sonia went to South Africa in August 2007, said Dr Karan Singh, Rajya Sabha member and head of the AICC's Foreign Affairs department who had participated in the delegation
Besides Mahatma Gandhi, the two parties also have a historic relationship based on shared colonial experiences and a united struggle against apartheid.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All ten vaccination centres across the city sported colourful curtains and were decorated with flowers. Some centres at BYL Nair hospital and Covid-19 jumbo centre at Bandra Kurla Complex also placed selfie spots with ‘I got my Covid-19 vaccine’ message in the backdrop.
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.