Controversial Semenya to run at Commonwealth Games
World 800m champion Caster Semenya was today added to South Africa's team for the Commonwealth Games, boosting her come-back after the sex test ordeal that saw her barred from competition.india Updated: Aug 25, 2010 18:54 IST
World 800m champion Caster Semenya was on Wednesday added to South Africa's team for the Commonwealth Games, boosting her come-back after the sex test ordeal that saw her barred from competition.
The 19-year-old world has run and won three races since being cleared to compete last month by the IAAF, the sport's governing body, following a controversial enquiry into her gender that saw her side-lined for almost 11 months.
"I'm very happy to see the return of Caster Semenya to duty for South Africa," Gideon Sam, president of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee, said in a statement.
"We have observed her progress closely since the IAAF cleared her to run and it's good to hear her say that she's focusing all her efforts on the Commonwealth."
Semenya was not included in the team for the African Senior Track and Field Championship in Nairobi in July. Her coach said she was focusing her come-back on the Commonwealth Games, which will be held in New Delhi in October.
She has since won easily in two minor races and also claimed first place Sunday at the World Challenge meet in Berlin, clocking a time of one minute 59.90 seconds.
It was her first sub-two minute time since returning to the track. She has yet to match the 1:55.45 time that won her the world title last year.
First Published: Aug 25, 2010 18:52 IST