Court bars Salem from coming to Delhi
The TADA court in Mumbai accedes to Salem's plea and says he could not endure a tedious train journey to Delhi.india Updated: Feb 07, 2007 16:49 IST
A Mumbai special court on Wednesday denied permission to transfer extradited mobster Abu Salem to Delhi for trial in three cases of extortion.
The TADA court in Mumbai acceded to Salem's plea and said he could not endure a tedious train journey to the national capital owing to severe pain in his backbone.
The court has now adjourned the hearing till February 23.
Salem was scheduled to be produced in the court of Delhi Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Seema Maini on Thursday for three cases of extortion registered against him in 2002.
In the first extortion case registered in July 2002, Salem had allegedly demanded Rs.10 million from Rajat Nagrath, owner of Allied Communications in south Delhi.
The Special Cell had earlier arrested three people in connection with the case. Police said Ishtaq, Sadiq and Chandu Prakash had disclosed that the threats given to the businessman were carried out at Salem's instance.
In another case, Salem allegedly asked for Rs 50 million from businessman Ashok Gupta. In the third, Vinay Singh of Lucky Exports is said to have paid Rs 5 million after being threatened by Salem.
Salem was extradited to India on Nov 11, 2005, 12 years after he allegedly masterminded the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai in which at least 257 people were killed.
The mob boss, who is currently in the custody of the Anti-Terrorist Squad of Mumbai Police, was brought to India with his wife and former Bollywood actress Monica Bedi.
Apart from the Mumbai blast case, the 36-year-old is wanted in 54 other cases ranging from murder to extortion.
Senior officials of the Delhi Police's Special Cell had earlier on Wednesday said Salem might try to avoid being brought to Delhi on "flimsy pretexts".
First Published: Feb 07, 2007 16:34 IST