Curtains likely to come down?
THE MUCH-hyped Bhopal Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) drive against illegal use of basements in MP Nagar is likely to face the same fate that BMC’s drive against newly constructed illegal houses at Khanugaon recently met.
BMC had announced that basements would be removed from July 24 to August 2. Earlier, on July 13, BMC had issued advertisements informing MP Nagar building owners to remove illegal structures from basements on their own. Minister for Urban Administration and Development Jayant Malaiya himself inspected some buildings on July 24 and the drive was conducted on two subsequent days.
However, now BMC officials are saying they are issuing notices to owners using basements for other than prescribed use. So, it seems that action taken so far was not valid and was carried out without issuing notices. Initially, BMC officials said the drive would not be stopped and all illegal constructions other than basements would be covered.
BMC officials have also changed their version and said only illegal use of basements will be covered under this campaign. BMC officials had changed their version on July 24 too, saying only big plots would be covered under this drive.
Now, officials were saying the survey had been completed and notices were being issued. While Mayor Sunil Sood said the drive would continue, sources said political pressure and reasons better known to BMC officials had dampened the drive.
Earlier too, BMC administration had issued notices to 14 building owners at Khanugaon. However, the drive could not cover all buildings and demolished only some of them. Some fresh construction has begun in this locality again.