Delhi blasts accused killed in J&K: Army
The Indian Army claims to have gunned down a key accused in the Delhi serial blasts last year that killed 60 people.india Updated: Dec 02, 2006 00:46 IST
The Indian Army Friday claimed to have gunned down a key accused in the serial blasts in the national capital on Diwali eve last year that killed nearly 60 people.
Army spokesman Lt Col AK Mathur said that security forces gunned down Ali Baba alias Abu Huzefa, deputy commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in an operation at Kreeri in north Kashmir's Baramulla district, 40 km from Srinagar.
"On specific information provided by locals about the presence of Ali Baba in fields in Kreeri, troops of Rashtriya Rifles launched an operation when the rebel was trapped in a gorge and engaged in a gunfight before being gunned down," Mathur said.
Several arms, ammunition and documents were recovered from the slain guerrilla.
"He was involved in the pre-Diwali serial blasts in New Delhi and also in atrocities on locals here. He was a resident of Pakistan's Sindh province and was active in Pattan Sopore area for the past two years," Mathur said.
First Published: Dec 02, 2006 00:42 IST