Earnhardt Jr. takes centre stage at Daytona 500
NASCAR's most popular driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. is aiming to mark his debut for Hendrick Motorsport on Sunday with victory in the 50th edition of the Daytona 500.
Earnhardt has never won the "The Great American Race" but, having left DEI, the team founded by his late father, at the end of last season he is confident that he can break his duck with the sport's dominant team.
Earnhardt won two exhibition races as part of the build-up to Sunday's main event and his number 88 Chevy has looked fast and competitive.
"I'm real proud and happy to have the talent that I've got on my team. The depth that I've got in the whole organization over at Hendrick is a pleasure," Earnhardt said.
"Sure has to make a driver's job a lot easier. I'm just looking forward to enjoying that and being involved in that all season. We'll see what happens," he added.
Earnhardt has won at Daytona in a number of events but never in the mammoth 500-mile race and he acknowledges there is a huge difference. His father, one of the sport's greats, needed 20 attempts to win NASCAR's most illustrious event.
"You can think about a 70-lap race and go, Hey, man, this is what we need to do. This is the strategy, pit stop, where we're going to stop. This is how quickly you need to be in front. You can do things to have a better shot at winning," Earnhardt said.
"But the 500, you just got to run all day long. You're going to get passed. You're going to pass people. And you just got to be there at the end. It's just very hard to do. So many variables," he said.
Most eyes will be on Earnhardt but Hendrick have several chances of claiming top spot, including defending NASCAR champion Jimmy Johnson who won the Daytona 500 in 2006.
Johnson, seeking his third consecutive NASCAR championship title, will start on pole position at Daytona and Hendrick's most experienced driver Jeff Gordon will also fancy his chances.
The controversial Tony Stewart, who has already clashed with rival and team mate Kurt Busch in preparation, is another contender, racing for the team of former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs who also have hopes for rising talent Denny Hamlin.
Scottish driver Dario Franchitti, who has moved over to NASCAR from Indy racing, will make his debut for Chip Ganassi Racing but Canadian former Formula One racer Jacques Villeneuve failed to qualify for Sunday's race.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Additional sessions judge Sandeep Yadav convicted 35-year-old Khan, also known as Junaid, Salim and Anna
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.