Fire in Punjab chemical factory, no casualties
A major fire broke out in a chemical factory that was packed with inflammable material in Dera Bassi town of Punjab today, officials said. No casualties have been reported.india Updated: May 23, 2011 13:18 IST
A major fire broke out in a chemical factory that was packed with inflammable material in Dera Bassi town of Punjab Sunday, officials said. No casualties have been reported.
According to fire officials here, the blaze could have been caused by an electrical short-circuit. Dera Bassi in Mohali district is around 15 km from the state capital Chandigarh.
"Around 10 fire extinguisher vans were pressed into service. The fire broke out at 5.30 a.m. and it took over four hours to bring it under control. The presence of highly inflammable material in the factory's godown made our work difficult," Fire Officer Avatar Singh told IANS Sunday.
"We had called fire extinguisher vans from Chandigarh, Mohali and other neighbouring towns. So far, exact reason behind the fire has not been ascertained, but we think it could be because of an electric short-circuit," he added.
Factory owners are still evaluating the actual loss incurred in the accident.
First Published: May 22, 2011 10:57 IST