'Govt acted swiftly after Cheriyathura clashes'
The Kerala government had taken swift action after the violence in Cheriyathura-Beemapally coastal belt on May 17 that left six persons dead in police firing and clashes, Law Minister M Vijayakumar said on Wednesday.india Updated: Jun 24, 2009 16:46 IST
The Kerala government had taken swift action after the violence in Cheriyathura-Beemapally coastal belt on May 17 that left six persons dead in police firing and clashes, Law Minister M Vijayakumar said on Wednesday.
Replying to submissions by V Surendran Pillai (KC-J) and C T Ahamedali (IUML) in the Assembly demanding an increase in the compensation amount for the families affected in the clash, he said the matter could be considered after discussions among all parties.
The government had given Rs 10 lakh each to the kin of the victims and offered job to a member of each family. Two seriously injured were given Rs five lakh and Rs three lakh each.
Free treatment was being given to the 46 persons injured in the clashes, including 16 police personnel and five fire force men.
A sum of Rs 24 lakh had been set apart to be distributed to the people whose houses and boats were destroyed.
Police had registered 26 cases in connection with the clashes that occurred following extortion by some persons belonging to a particular community from a restaurant. Four police officials had been suspended pending inquiry.
The government had again written to the state high court Chief Justice to provide the services of a sitting judge for holding an inquiry into the incident after an earlier plea was turned down, he said.
Vijayakumar said all steps would be taken to prevent such incidents in future.
First Published: Jun 24, 2009 16:39 IST