Gym me, gym me more
Just in case you hadn’t too many things to worry and get worked up about, here’s another: to stop feeling depressed, exercise. Two hundred British general practitioners came to the conclusion that physical exercise is the best way to beat the blues. The news may get your resident psychiatrist reaching for his anti-depressants, but we can already see your local gymwallah breaking into cycles of sweat-free happiness.
Physical exertion, till very recently, was the cause of, at best, human unhappiness and, at worst, human misery. To say that going into the gym will keep us happy is either a terribly optimistic hoax or a way to get all of us to start worrying about flab. The Mental Health Foundation, which conducted this research, insists that not only does exercising help release ‘feel-good’ chemicals in the brain like endorphins, but gymming “can help people physically, socially and biologically”. There goes the whole Cartesian division of body and mind — already chipped away steadily over the centuries thanks to metaphysical poetry and mind-expanding drugs — that helped us to feel good about letting our bodies go to seed.
The post-modern obsession with our own bodies has now found mental affirmation. But we won’t be too surprised at all if the 200 doctors who have endorsed exercise as a way to keep happy have been paid by manufacturers of gym equipment. And do you really have the time to keep aside a chunk of your daily hours to hop on the treadmill? See, we got you worried already.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.