India pound Singapore, reach Jr Asia Cup Hockey semis
India squandered penalty corners galore but still pumped in three goals in each half to blank Singapore 6-0 and set up a semifinal clash with arch-rivals Pakistan in the 6th Junior Asia Cup hockey tournament on Monday in Hyderabad.
Drag-flicker Diwakar Ram (31st,64th,67th minutes) struck three goals alone, while Roshan Minz (25th), SV Sunil (26th) and Gurwinder Singh Chandi (61st) too sounded the board.
In a Pool B match, Pakistan came back from a halfway 1-2 deficit to thrash Bangladesh 8-2 and finish second in the group which pitted them against defending champions India in the semifinals.
With Monday's resounding win, India topped Pool A, while South Korea led Pool B after crushing Oman 11-0.
Japan beat Malaysia 3-1 on Monday and they will meet Korea in the other semifinal on Wednesday.
Though India did not break a sweat against lowly Singapore, their poor penalty corner conversion would remain a woe for coach AK Bansal. The hosts got as many as 13 penalty corners but could convert only three.
After two penalty corners went abegging and Singapore's goalkeeper Maheshwaran Thanagopal came up with some stunning saves, India finally opened the account through Roshan Minz's 25th minute goal and in the next minute, it was Sunil's turn to get into the scorer's sheet.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Shiv Sena which is a marginal force in West Bengal, is aiming to punch much above its weight.
- BJP parliamentarian from Maharashtra Manoj Kotak and West Ghatkopar MLA Ram Kadam demanded a ban on the series.
- HT had reported on Wednesday that the panel was mulling the decision in the wake of the privacy concerns surrounding WhatsApp’s new policy.
- Chinar Corps commander Lt Gen BS Raju said the Line of Control remains fairly active because of Pakistan's attempts to push in terrorists.
- The Delhi Police in its application seeking injunction against farmers taking out a tractor rally had said that the tractor rally could cause law and order problems and embarrass the country.