India says no new conditions
PRIME MINISTER Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said India will not compromise on the provisions of last year's July 18 Indo-US Joint Statement on the civil nuclear deal.
"I wish to assure the House that we will never compromise in a manner which is inconsistent with the provisions of the Joint Statement of July 18," he told the Lok Sabha during question hour.
The PM said his government was ready for a debate on the deal and "I am also eager to make a suo motu statement over the issue". Singh's response came after BJP deputy leader V.K. Malhotra sought a debate on the issue. Earlier, MoS for External Affairs Anand Sharma said India's strategic programme was in tact since the deal was confined to civilian nuclear cooperation. He reiterated the government's commitment to the deal as spelt out in the July, 2005 statement: "Our position remains the same.”