India to brief IAEA Board of Governors tomorrow
India will brief the IAEA board of Governors on the safeguards agreement and other aspects of Indo-US nuclear deal on Friday in Vienna ahead of the board's scheduled meeting on August one to reach a consensus on giving a waiver to India to do civilian nuclear trade.
"There is a briefing scheduled on Friday afternoon at a location outside the IAEA. The invitation was distributed by India to Board members," IAEA spokesperson Melissa Fleming told PTI late night in an email message.
Foreign secretary Shivsankar Menon will lead the Indian delegation to brief them the safeguard agreement reached between India and IAEA. Other members of the delegation are the chief negotiator of the safeguards agreement R B Grover, who is also the Director of the Department of Atomic Energy's Strategic Planning Group and Indian Ambassador in Vienna Saurabh Singh.
The IAEA spokesperson said earlier they were informed that India has decided to cancel their briefing but later clarified that India will hold the briefing outside IAEA.
Once BOG reach a consensus on the agreement, then it will be taken up by NSG to give clean exemption for nuclear trade and this meeting will possibly be held next month, sources said.
After that is done, the Indo-US deal will be placed before the US Congress for its approval in September before the deal is actually operationalised, the sources added.
Out of the 35 BOG, 26 are NSG members and the remaining NSG countries have also been invited for the briefing to seek a waiver for India to do civil nuclear trade.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.