Info provided by Pak on Mumbai probe sketchy: India
Having provided more evidence to Pakistan on the Mumbai attacks, India today said it expects Islamabad to share concrete information regarding its probe into the carnage as the details received so far have been "very sketchy".india Updated: Mar 18, 2009 21:52 IST
Having provided more evidence to Pakistan on the Mumbai attacks, India on Wednesday said it expects Islamabad to share concrete information regarding its probe into the carnage as the details received so far have been "very sketchy".
New Delhi said it has given ample evidence to Islamabad to act against those behind the 26/11 carnage and will continue to "encourage" the neighbour to fulfil its commitments of dismantling the terror infrastructure there altogether.
In its reply to Pakistan's 30 questions last Friday, India had provided DNA samples of all the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai with fingerprints of eight of them, sources said in New Delhi on Wednesday.
Fingerprints of two terrorists could not be obtained because their condition was bad, they said.
New Delhi also gave other details like voice recordings of terrorists, photographs and forensic evidence to Islamabad to enable it to take its probe forward.
On the other hand, Pakistan has shared little about its investigation into the attacks, particularly with regard to those arrested.
The information shared by Pakistan so far is "very sketchy", sources here said, adding that India wants more concrete details about Pakistani probe.
The information provided by India includes DNA test reports on Ajmal Amir Kasab, the only terrorist captured by Indian authorities, and seven other attackers who were killed in Mumbai during attacks, the paper said.
The dossier does not provide the DNA test reports of two attackers named Abu Umar and Abdur Rehman. The Indian authorities said such tests could not be conducted as their bodies were badly damaged in the security operation, it said.
The dossier provides some information about internet voice messaging by the terrorists and mentions the internet protocol number (118.107.140139) used by them.
Meanwhile, The News daily reported that the Indian response also did not include an authenticated confessional statement given to court by Kasab, which had been sought by Pakistan. The authenticated copies of some depositions and exhibits filed by prosecutors too are missing from the "otherwise comprehensive Indian response", it reported.
Some "legal technicalities" were cited by Indian authorities as the reason for the exclusion of these documents.
India has given a detailed response to most of the questions posed by Pakistan on February 12 while "clarification and material sought on some five or six questions is still awaited”, a diplomatic source said.
The source said the Indian government had indicated it would provide the remaining material in due course.
While handing over the Indian dossier to Pakistan's High Commissioner Shahid Malik last week, Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon told him that some material was in the court's custody and the government was in the process of obtaining it.
Menon also said the handing over of information was the start of a process that "entailed judicial procedures" and hoped the spirit of cooperation would continue.
The Indian dossier includes documentary evidence like closed-circuit TV images of the attackers, CDs, detailed transcripts of conversations between the attackers and their handlers, forensic analysis reports of the accused and GPS data.
First Published: Mar 18, 2009 18:41 IST