Kandhamal riot case: BJP MLA sentenced to seven years RI
A local court on Tuesday sentenced BJP MLA Manoj Pradhan to seven years rigorous imprisonment for his role in the 2008 Kandhamal communal riots.
The judgement was pronounced by fast track court-I judge S K Das while disposing of a case relating to murder of Parikhita Digal, a Christian from Budedi village under Raikia police station limit on August 27, 2008.
Pradhan was also accused of setting on fire houses of people belonging to the minority community.
A case was registered against Pradhan under sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting with deadly weapon), 149 (unlawful assembly), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of offence), 302 (murder), 341 (wrongfully restraining someone), 342 (wrongful confinement) and 436 (mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house etc) of IPC.
"I have the highest regard for the judiciary. We will appeal against the verdict in the higher court," Pradhan, BJP MLA from G Udaygiri, said over phone.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- On Monday, Odisha reported 668 large forest fires.
- The 13th floor houses the accounts office of the Eastern Railways.
- Apni Party chief Altaf Bukhari said that political parties should join hand to fight for the restoration of Jammu and Kashmir's special status and not just sit and watch how the BJP’s plan unfolds.
- Vrindavan is home to thousands of widows who have either been abandoned by their families or are just alone in the world.
- Four Chhattisgarh legislators have contracted Covid-19 during the ongoing budget session of the legislative assembly which began on February 22.