LPG leak sparks fire, man dies
A MAN succumbed to burns, while his wife and five-year-old son were severely burnt when a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) leakage caused fire in the their residence near Shahjahanabad.india Updated: Jan 28, 2007 09:58 IST
A MAN succumbed to burns, while his wife and five-year-old son were severely burnt when a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) leakage caused fire in the their residence near Shahjahanabad.
The police surmise that a damaged pipe — connecting the LPG cylinder to the stove was damaged— triggering the cooking gas leak. Vijay Suryavanshi, 39, an Armyman, and a resident of Sultania Infantry, returned home late at the night and his wife went to the kitchen to warm the food. .
When she switched on the stove, gas that had already collected in the room caught fire.
Suryavanshi’s wife, Annapurna was trapped in the flames. In his attempt to save his wife, Vijay was critically burnt. Hearing the screams, their five-year-old son also ran towards his parents and received burns in the process. They were admitted to the hospital.
The incident occurred on Thursday. Suryavanshi succumbed to the burns on Friday. The condition of his wife, Annapurna and their son, Samrat, 5, remains serious. Both are undergoing treatment in the hospital.
The deceased was a havildar with the army, police said. Household goods were also burnt in the fire.
Although the exact circumstances surrounding the mishap are not known, it is surmised that either the pipe had loosened or was damaged.
The Shahjahanabad police are investigating the circumstances behind of the mishap.
Only a couple of days ago, walls of a house in Bairagarh and the neighbouring house, were badly damaged in a blast. Apparently, the gas trapped in the room, where the refrigerator was also kept triggered the blast.
First Published: Jan 28, 2007 09:58 IST