Maid loses life due to malfunctioning lift | india | Hindustan Times
  • Saturday, Jun 23, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 23, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Maid loses life due to malfunctioning lift

IN A tragic incident, a maid who had come to work at the Panchratna Apartment at 242 Manoramaganj, died when her head got struck in the apartment lift. The lift had been malfunctioning for the past few days.

india Updated: Mar 08, 2006 00:33 IST

IN A tragic incident, a maid who had come to work at the Panchratna Apartment at 242 Manoramaganj, died when her head got struck in the apartment lift. The lift had been malfunctioning for the past few days.

The deceased, identified as Hemabai wife of Govardhan Devra, worked in one of the flats in the building. As there were no eyewitnesses to the accident, no one is sure how the accident occurred. However, reconstructing the events, police said as was her routine Hemabai came to work at around 9 am. She worked in two flats – at the second floor and one on the fourth floor.

The accident occurred while she was going from the second to the fourth floor. She must have stepped inside the lift, when it suddenly started and she lost her balance and fell.

When the people in the building found her, her head was trapped under the lift on the second floor and her body was lying on the floor. Fire brigade and police were called and they lifted the elevator and extricated the body.

CSP Irmin Shah said that prima facie it looked like an accident and not foul play. She said the residents of the building told her that the lift had been malfunctioning for the past few days and some people had been trapped inside it a couple of days ago.

There is also a notice, written in chalk which said that maids, salesperson were not supposed to use the lift. The CSP said that a large number of maids who had gathered told her that it was a ridiculous rule and no one followed it, as it was not possible to climb the stairs every time.

The CSP said that perhaps the residents of the building did not take the malfunctioning of the lift very seriously as a result of which the accident occurred. She said they would consult technical expert regarding the matter and if it was found that the death occurred due to lack of maintenance of the lift, a case might be registered against those who were responsible for the maintenance.