Nadal aims to fill his boots against qualifier
Spanish sporting prowess will be on full display on Saturday but while Barcelona are bidding for Champions League glory, Rafael Nadal will just be seeking an easy passage to the French Open last 16 with no high drama.
In-form Novak Djokovic will also be keen to avoid a kick in the teeth when his match with tough Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro is completed with honours even at 6-3 3-6.
Champion and world number one Nadal stuttered through his first five-set match at Roland Garros in a first-round win over John Isner which he likened to a "penalty shootout", before failing to find his best form in a victory over Pablo Andujar.
The third round has served up an intriguing clash with Croatian qualifier Antonio Veic, a pushover on paper but on the Paris clay he has downed Uruguay's world number 52 Pablo Cuevas and twice Paris semi-finalist Nikolay Davydenko.
Big Real Madrid fan Nadal, bidding for a sixth title here in seven years, will expect to wrap up victory long before he wills on Manchester United in the soccer final but last year's runner-up Robin Soderling may struggle as he is last on court.
The Swede faces unseeded but in-form Argentine Leonardo Mayer after fourth seed Andy Murray plays German underdog Michael Berrer.
Roger Federer eased through to the last-16 matchup with fellow Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka on Sunday with a 6-1 6-4 6-3 hammering of Janko Tipsarevic on Friday.
"I'm at peace with my game right now, I'm physically fine," the 2009 winner told reporters. "But it is still early in the tournament."
With the women's draw blown apart by top seeds Caroline Wozniacki and Kim Clijsters crashing out, fourth seed Victoria Azarenka has a real chance of her first grand slam trophy and meets Italy's 30th seed Roberta Vinci first up on centre court.
Fellow title hopeful Maria Sharapova takes on Chan Yung-jan aiming to kick the Taiwanese and her shaky form from the last round into touch.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Even though the case was posted for February 4, the court heard the case on Wednesday based on the request of the former Tamil Nadu CM's family.
- An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde said that all endeavours should be made to ensure appointments come through in a time-bound manner.
- The TMC, however, has hit back calling it the height of hypocrisy and refuting the charges as baseless allegations.
- Leaders of the Samyukt Kisan Morcha, the platform of farm unions leading the protests, on Wednesday apologised for the violent events in Delhi that have dented the credibility of the movement.
- Singh and Pompili will preside over the signing of a letter of intent between the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) and the French Development Agency (AFD) for developing a floating solar plant of up to 150 MW.
- Mamata Banerjee has recently appointed coordinators for the five assembly constituencies in East Midnapore district, the home turf of former TMC stalwart Suvendu Adhikari who joined the BJP on December 19.
- As part of the strategy, the Andhra Pradesh government on Tuesday issued an order announcing hefty cash incentives to be given to gram panchayats where sarpanches and ward members are elected unanimously without any contest.
- The defence ministry said Rajnath Singh received an "introductory telephone call" from the newly-appointed US Secretary of Defence Austin and that the two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen defence cooperation and the strategic partnership between the two countries.