National Conference MP's house attacked
Policemen guarding the ancestral house of National Conference MP Sharifuddin Shariq on Friday fired warning shots when a mob attacked the house with stones in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, official sources said.
Shariq was not present in the house at the time of the attack this evening, the sources said adding members of his family who were inside escaped unhurt.
The mob pelted stones on the house of Shariq at Shaheen Mohalla in Handwara town, 80 km from Srinagar, damaging window panes of the house, the sources said.
They said the mob fled the scene after police guarding the house fired several rounds in the air.
This is the second time in the past three days that the house of senior National Conference leader was attacked.
Handwara, along with Trehgam in Kupwara district, witnessed violent clashes throughout the day on Friday, leaving seven persons, including three policemen, injured.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Even though the case was posted for February 4, the court heard the case on Wednesday based on the request of the former Tamil Nadu CM's family.
- An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde said that all endeavours should be made to ensure appointments come through in a time-bound manner.
- The TMC, however, has hit back calling it the height of hypocrisy and refuting the charges as baseless allegations.
- Leaders of the Samyukt Kisan Morcha, the platform of farm unions leading the protests, on Wednesday apologised for the violent events in Delhi that have dented the credibility of the movement.
- Singh and Pompili will preside over the signing of a letter of intent between the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) and the French Development Agency (AFD) for developing a floating solar plant of up to 150 MW.
- Mamata Banerjee has recently appointed coordinators for the five assembly constituencies in East Midnapore district, the home turf of former TMC stalwart Suvendu Adhikari who joined the BJP on December 19.
- As part of the strategy, the Andhra Pradesh government on Tuesday issued an order announcing hefty cash incentives to be given to gram panchayats where sarpanches and ward members are elected unanimously without any contest.
- The defence ministry said Rajnath Singh received an "introductory telephone call" from the newly-appointed US Secretary of Defence Austin and that the two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen defence cooperation and the strategic partnership between the two countries.