NM College: City's CA factory
Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, popularly known as NM College, is one of the most popular commerce colleges in the suburbs. The campus in Juhu is relatively new and not too large, but it is expanding. From the next academic year, students will have three new state-of-the-art computer laboratories and six new lecture rooms costing Rs 50 lakh.
"The new facilities can be used by the entire college across courses," said Principal M.N. Welling, who also manages to take a class of mathematics and statistics everyday. "The library too has been renovated and is centrally air-conditioned. We have over 48,000 books and some rare Gujarati literature."The library renovation has cost Rs 1.5 crore.
Hangouts outside the campus also are part of the attraction. From the vada pav stall to Deeraj's, an erstwhile working-class zunka bhakar shop which now serves everything from lasagne to chocolate mousse, students have a lot to do during lunch hour.
"The college is a perfect blend of academics and extracurricular activities. Our annual college festival, Umang, attracts over 30,000 students. We also have the highest percentage of chartered accountants coming out of this college," said Priyanka Venkateswar, a third year BCom student.
Another interesting feature of the college is the encouragement given to student associations. It has 1,723 associations including a Planning Forum, a writers club, a wildlife and nature club and a hobby centre.
They have a National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) rating of B++ and have 1,110 seats at the junior college level and 960 seats at the degree level.
"I have been with the college for 29 years and it has been a wonderful teaching experience. The students who come in are very focused because our cut off is high. It feels so good when they call our college the
CA factory of the city
," said Sangeeta Kher, a commerce teacher in the degree college.
The faculty of NM College is great but what makes it stand out is the rapport they share with the students. The faculty is very forward looking and the infrastructure expansion is taking the college to greater heights, says Snehalata Deshmukh, former Vice Chancellor, Mumbai University.
NM is one of the premier educational institutions in Mumbai which was established in the year 1964 by Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal (SVKM), a professionally managed trust with a number of prestigious academic institutions. SVKM is the brainchild of leading industrialists and socially conscious philanthropists who wanted to contribute to the local area by founding educational institutions.
Best Known For:
A majority of the city's chartered accountants are from this college. The Institute of Chartered Accountants has now allowed the college to conduct coaching classes for the CA and CS entrance exam.
The well-known intercollegiate festival Umang has grown exponentially from its inception in the year 2000 and provides a great platform to students from all over the country with over 75 events and invites more than 200 colleges from all over the country. Mega events such as Pronite and Rocknite pull over 40,000 students.
88 per cent for junior college.
Everyone knows NM for academics but they also had the finest drama team when I studied there. It gave me great theatre exposure and people like Paresh Rawal, Vipul Shah and Aamir Khan were my batchmates.
- Jamnadas Majeehia (JD), MD, Hats Off Production
Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, JVPD Scheme Road, No 1, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Khan won from the Chainpur Assembly seat on a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) ticket in the 2020 assembly elections and is all set to join JD-U soon.
- Since January 16, a total of 10,514 healthcare workers have been vaccinated in Uttarakhand in 171 sessions.
- The PM is scheduled to address a public rally at Jerenga Pathar in Sivasagar district on Saturday and distribute land allotment certificates to over 1,06,000 landless people.
- The petitioner, had joined the 3-year law course at Law Centre-II of the Faculty of Law, Delhi University in August 2016. She was a married woman who attended the evening law course and successfully cleared three semesters. In the fourth semester, she became pregnant and could not attend classes.
- The child-friendly police station has been developed under an initiative by the state commission for protection of child rights and police to provide a friendly environment to the children on the streets to prevent them from stepping into the world of crime.