No 70:30 quota in Mumbai colleges
In what has come as a major relief to students, the Maharashtra government announced that it would not implement the 70:30 formula for college admissions this academic year. Urvi Mahajani tells us more. Special: Campus CallingUpdated: Jul 15, 2008 01:45 IST
In what has come as a major relief to students, the Maharashtra government on Monday announced that it would not implement the 70:30 formula for college admissions this academic year.
The formula, announced by the state school education department on July 4, had made it compulsory for colleges to reserve 70 per cent of their seats for students from their districts. Mumbai has two districts — south Mumbai and the suburbs.
“Admissions on the basis of merit will resume from Tuesday,” said Sanjay Kumar, principal secretary, school education.
On Monday, Advocate General Ravi Kadam informed Bombay High Court of the state’s decision, explaining that the government had decided not to implement the circular as there was a lot of confusion among students and teachers regarding its implementation. “The government will study various factors and may implement it next year,” he said.
Last week, the court stayed admissions to junior colleges till July 14 after hearing a public interest litigation which challenged the decision to enforce the 70:30 formula, originally meant only for Latur district, throughout the state.
The bench on Monday observed that merit should be one of the criteria for admissions. The affidavit filed by the government stated that even under the 70:30 formula, admissions would be based on merit as there are good colleges and enough seats.
Justifying the plan, the affidavit said that students who go to colleges close to their homes won’t waste time commuting and that the time can be invested in studies.