PM assures no more attack on NE students in Delhi
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed concern over the recent attacks on girl students of the north eastern region in New Delhi and said stern action would be taken against the culprits to prevent such incidents.india Updated: Feb 07, 2010 20:27 IST
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed concern over the recent attacks on girl students of the north eastern region in New Delhi and said stern action would be taken against the culprits to prevent such incidents.
The Prime Minister made the statement in a letter to the North East Students Organisation (NESO) Chairman, Samujjal Bhattacharya.
Replying to a complaint lodged to Singh by the NESO, the Prime Minister said he had directed the authorities to take stern action against the culprits.
"The North East people in Delhi is a peace loving community which is making valuable contributions to the academic and economic life of the city," Singh said in the letter.
Bhattacharya told reporters he was happy to receive such quick response to their complaint from the premier.
Bhattacharya, also advisor to the All Assam Students Union (AASU), said that the complaint had been filed after a girl from Nagaland was murdered in the national capital on October 25 last year.
He said there were at least nine incidents of attack on the students last year, particularly on girls, of the NE region in New Delhi following which the students organisation had approached Singh who represents Assam in Rajya Sabha.