Preliminary inquiry begins in Kumbh stampede | india | Hindustan Times
  • Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 17, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Preliminary inquiry begins in Kumbh stampede

An inquiry ordered by Maharashtra Government into the July 27 stampede during the Kumbh Mela has begun.

india Updated: Apr 14, 2004 13:46 IST

A preliminary inquiry ordered by Maharashtra Government into the July 27 stampede incident in Nashik during the Kumbh Mela has begun, official sources said on Saturday.

Divisional Revenue Commissioner of Aurangabad V Ramani on Friday visited and carried out inspections at Sardar Chowk where the stampede took place, the royal procession route and holy Ramakunda area, an official release said on Saturday.

The stampede at Sardar Chowk area earlier this year on July 27 on the 'parvani' day, had caused death of 29 persons and injured hundreds of pilgrims.

Ramani, who is heading the inquiry, discussed the issue with Revenue Commissioner Vijay Mathankar, city Police Commissioner Prabhakar Lohar and Nasik Municipal Corporation Commissioner Vimalendra Sharan.

He also sought information regarding arrangements that were made for mob-controlling, police bandobast and other planning done by the administration on July 27, 2003.

"Presently we are taking preliminary information from the officers and would later issue a public notice so that those interested to provide more information relating to stampede would be able to give us statements," the release said quoting Ramani.

"If required, we will collect information from social organisations and more information will be taken from the relatives of the victims of stampede," the release added.