Quattrocchi accounts: CBI probe to go on
CBI says it will make all possible efforts to obtain the Italian businessman's presence to face trial in the Bofors case.Updated: Jan 15, 2006 01:51 IST
The CBI would continue with its investigations to establish whether the two bank accounts in London were in anyway connected with the Bofors payoff case pending against Ottavio Quattrocchi.
The agency would issue further requests to other countries related to the case, if required.
Highly-placed sources in the CBI said that the agency would continue with the investigation to establish whether the two accounts in London were in anyway connected with the case of conspiracy to cheat, a chargesheet which had been filed in the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court against the Italian businessman.
When contacted, CBI spokesman G Mohanty said the CBI would continue its efforts to trace and connect the money in the two accounts—5A5151516L and 5A5151516M—with BSIAG Bank London, having three million Euros and $1 million respectively -- with the alleged payment received by Quattrocchi.
The efforts include pursuing with the execution of the Letters Rogatory and also sending additional Letters Rogatory, if required, the spokesman said.
He said even in the absence of a formal extradition treaty with Italy, where Quattrocchi is believed to be living, CBI would make all possible efforts through legal and diplomatic channels to obtain his presence to face trial in the Bofors case.
First Published: Jan 14, 2006 17:35 IST