Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Screw cap baby saved by doctors

The six year-old boy was carrying a .5 inch long plastic screw cap of a ball-point pen with his right lung.

india Updated: Oct 10, 2006 08:42 IST

A team of ENT doctors of SSKM Hospital saved the life of a six year-old boy who was carrying a .5 inch long plastic screw cap of a ball-point pen with his right lung for about one and half months. He was denied admission by most of the medical colleges and some private nursing homes.

The child, Bubai Ghosh was brought to the SSKM’s ENT department on Saturday from Haroa in Hooghly district with severe respiratory distress, frequent cough and vomiting. He was admitted under Dr Arunava Sengupta.

On Monday, the team comprising Dr Sengupta, Dr Bijan Basak, Dr Satyaki Mitra, Dr Tarique, anaesthetist Anirban Rashid and post graduate trainee doctor Bikramjit Singh performed a bronchoscopy operation on his right lung and removed the cap.

Sengupta who led the operation lasting for about half an hour said, “The patient was in critical condition with acute respiratory trouble and cough. We saw the plastic stuck inside his right lung and took a risk of performing the operation. He is okay now with post operation pain in his throat.”

“It is still surprising how could the child carry such a big foreign body inside lung for so long. His condition would have become worse once it was not removed in time. There was every possibility of spreading infection on his lung. Most of the medical colleges in the city has the infrastructure to perform such operation,” he said.

Patient’s mother Heera Ghosh said, “My son is a class-I student. The plastic cap of the back portion of a pain suddenly got stuck inside his throat when he was coming back home from school on August 28. We saw him coughing every seconds with severe breathing trouble. Later we saw him vomiting blood.”

“We got panicked and rushed him to the Serampore state-run hospital. The doctors denied admission of my only son and referred the case to Burdwan Medical College. The Burdwan hospital also advised us to go Calcutta Medical College. Again we brought our son to the medical college where the concerned doctor sent back us saying that they did not any equipment to take photo of the cap. The medical college doctor asked us to go another medical college NRS. The NRS doctor who attended my son told us he would take any risk of performing operation to remove the cap,” she said.

She said, “In the meantime the condition of my son was deteriorating further. He could not even speak little louder. He could not eat solid food because of cough and breathlessness. Even doctor of a nursing home in Serampore denied his admission. Finding no other way out we rushed to the PG hospital’s ENT department where the doctors assured us to remove the plastic cap.On Monday,they saved my son by removing the cap.”

First Published: Oct 10, 2006 08:42 IST