Sinhalese Sports Club Ground
Sinhalese Sports Club GroundUpdated: Nov 18, 2003 12:15 IST
Name: Sinhalese Sports Club Ground
Also or formerly known as: Maitland Place
End names: Tennis Courts End, South End
The headquarters of Sri Lankan cricket, this is the country’s main international venue.
The ground — which belongs to the Sinhalese Sports Club — opened in 1952 and staged the country's second Test match with a 30,000-capacity when Sri Lanka clashed with New Zealand on March 16, 1984.
The first limited overs match played at this ground was between the hosts and England on February 13, 1982.
The ground has been a happy hunting ground for Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas. The veteran Sri Lankan fast-bowler captured eight for 19 against Zimbabwe, the best bowling figures in ODI’s.
Sri Lanka recorded their first ever ODI win against a Test playing country during the Asia Cup in 1986, when they defeated Pakistan by five wickets here.
First Published: Nov 18, 2003 12:15 IST