Steps taken to protect Ayodhya site: Govt
THE GOVERNMENT today assured members in the Vidhan Sabha that adequate measures had been taken to protect the Ram Janmabhoomi site at Ayodhya against any possible terrorist attack.india Updated: Feb 03, 2006 01:05 IST
THE GOVERNMENT today assured members in the Vidhan Sabha that adequate measures had been taken to protect the Ram Janmabhoomi site at Ayodhya against any possible terrorist attack.
Opposing an adjournment notice of Suresh Chandra Srivastava (BJP) during the Zero Hour, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Azam Khan, however, neither denied nor confirmed reports quoted by the former that the Intelligence Bureau (IB) had informed the State Home Department that two terrorists had entered Ayodhya and an effort could be made on February 26 to destroy or damage the makeshift temple.
Speaking on the admissibility of the notice, leader of the Opposition Lalji Tandon sought to know whether the State Government had actually received any information. He asked the government to specify if it had taken any security steps. However, the government preferred not to share or disclose any information on the sensitive issue. The notice was later rejected by the Speaker.
Probe ordered: Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey today directed the Government to investigate the allegations of police misbehavior with women in Ballia and table the report in the House.
The Speaker issued the directive on an adjournment notice of Ram Iqbal Singh (BJP) in which he alleged that women in Ushasha village under the Pakri Police circle in the district preferred to sleep in the fields due to fear of anti-social elements as well as that of the police.Ram Iqbal alleged that SO of the police station forcibly entered houses in the village and made abortive attempt to rape some women.
Opposing the notice, Ziauddin of the SP said it was not the police but Ram Iqbal’s terror that haunted the women in the village. He said Ram Iqbal’s anti-police and anti-administration activities were well known.
The notice was, however, rejected.
Demand withdrawn: Leader of the Congress Legislature Party Pramod Tiwari had to withdraw his resolution demanding increase in the retirement age to 60 for honorary officers and employees of the Home Guards following the Government’s assurance that it would recommend the same to the Centre.
The government clarified that Home Guards were an autonomous body functioning under the Centre.