Troops to stay in Siachen for now: Govt
The information assumes significance in view of reports that New Delhi and Islamabad were close to an agreement.Updated: May 11, 2006 13:30 IST
Government on Thursday said there was no decision "at present" to pull out troops from the world's highest battlefield Siachen Glacier.
The information was given in a written reply in the Lok Sabha by the Defence Minister Pranab Mukhejee and assumes significance in view of reports that New Delhi and Islamabad were close to an agreement on the glacier issue.
"A ceasefire has been in force on actual ground position line (AGPL) in Siachen area since the midnight of November 25,2003, which has been upheld by both the sides", Mukherjee told the House.
"However, there is no decision at present to pull out troops from the Siachen glacier", he said.
On the ceasefire along the Line of control, the Minister said it too was holding on except for "some aberrations". Mukherjee said strong protests have been lodged by the Indian government with their Pakistani counterparts about the incident of ceasefire violations through military and diplomatic channels.
"Pakistani authorities have denied complicity of Pakistani troops in these incidents", the Defence Minister said adding that two soldiers had been wounded in these firing incidents.
First Published: May 11, 2006 13:30 IST