Workers die after eating rice in Kanpur
Two persons, working at a brick kiln, and a dog died after eating rice, which was allegedly poisoned, in Bidhunoo late on Tuesday night, reports Wali Siddiqui.india Updated: Apr 12, 2007 14:44 IST
Two persons, working at a brick kiln, and a dog died after eating rice, which was allegedly poisoned, in Bidhunoo late on Tuesday night. Family members of the deceased, who blocked roads and gheraoed the police station, feared they (victims) were murdered.
However, the police have not registered a case till Wednesday evening and suspect the deaths were a result of food poisoning, as the rice the victims had cooked might have had traces of pesticides. But the family members, refusing to go by the police story, claimed that the deceased Uday Paswan (22) and Daulat (23), who used to live in Prem Purwa and Tejpurwa respectively, were murdered by robbers.
Dault’s mother, Rajkumari said both the deceased had gone to work at a brick kiln on Tuesday afternoon. A brick-kiln employee Jagroop and Tractor driver Vishram later informed Rajkumari that Uday and Daulat were seriously ill and they had been admitted to a hospital. When she reached the hospital, both of them had already died. Uday’s mother claimed that Jagroop and Vishram had poisoned the rice. She also alleged that the police forcibly took away the bodies and refused to hand them over to the family.
According to reports, Uday and Daulat ate the rice at night and later started vomiting. Froth around their mouths indicated that they had eaten poisoned rice. Locals rushed them to a hospital, where they died. A dog, which had also eaten the rice too died. Senior police officials including SP Rural Area (RA) Dinesh Chandra and Station Officer (SO) Bidhunoo Anirudh Pratap Singh reached the spot after receiving information. Police sent the bodies for post-mortem examination.
First Published: Apr 12, 2007 14:32 IST